Brian Sims
Editor

“Majority of companies” now experiencing lone worker incidents

THE MAJORITY of companies (68% of those surveyed, in fact) have experienced an incident involving a lone worker in the past three years, with a fifth of these episodes described as being either severe or very severe in nature. That’s according to research conducted by lone worker organisation StaySafe. In addition, nearly a quarter of staff feel unsafe at least once a year.

StaySafe surveyed over 1,300 lone workers and Health and Safety executives in order to produce ‘The Lone Worker Landscape Report 2021’. For the first time, the research has aimed to uncover the disparities between the opinions of employers and lone workers themselves in the hope that, by dint of greater understanding, the levels of protection afforded to such members of staff can be improved.

The research finds that incidents relating to external factors including accidents, ill health, aggression and violence constitute 41% of recorded lone worker incidents, with the remainder (ie 59%) of them involving stress, mental health issues and tiredness.

Manual, traditionally male-dominated industries have higher rates of incidents overall, with 76% of utilities, telco and construction companies experiencing an incident with a lone worker in the last three years. 66% of FM, property and estate agent concerns had reported an incident in the last three years, closely followed by housing and local authorities at 65%.

Charities, social services and the NHS recorded the lowest number of incidents (at 59%), which may be linked to both the nature of the roles involved, the increased levels of training in these industries and company culture. The research showed that this group conducted the most training, with 60% holding briefings on regulatory requirements relating to lone working. There could also be an issue with under-reporting in these industries.

Significant under-reporting 

Only around one third (36%) of lone workers have expressed personal safety concerns to their employer. However, companies seem unaware that lone workers are failing to report these concerns, with nearly all (92%) believing that their lone workers are speaking to them regularly about any incidents and concerns.

Don Cameron, CEO of StaySafe, informed Security Matters: “The considerable under-reporting of hazards is a major concern for Health and Safety-focused executives, for example, and particularly so as they seem unaware that their staff members are not having these conversations. Under-reporting can lead to employers under-estimating the real level of risk faced by their staff on a daily basis and, as a consequence, failing to put in the necessary protective measures in order to prevent accidents or incidents.”

The majority of companies surveyed (ie 83%) took action following a lone worker incident, usually through the introduction of improved training or additional protective measures. However, a minority of companies (17%) took no action at all.

In addition, the research indicates that companies are often overestimating how well they’ve actually dealt with hazards or incidents. 78% of executives say that they have addressed their employees’ concerns to either a great or a fair extent, but only 45% of lone workers would agree with such an assertion.

Doing the right thing

Don Cameron observed: “When it comes to reporting incidents, we can see that companies on the whole are doing the right thing. However, the research highlights the fact that Health and Safety executives can only take appropriate action when they’re aware of safety concerns or potential risks and hazards that lone workers may face.”

Further, Cameron noted: “It’s clear that there’s a high rate of lone worker incidents, many of which are severe. Health and Safety and security-focused executives and managers have to focus on preventing episodes before they happen by ensuring that they understand the safety concerns of their staff.”

*The full research report produced by StaySafe is available here

Company Info

Security Matters

Western Business Media
Dorset House
64 High Street
East Grinstead
RH19 3DE
UNITED KINGDOM

https://security-matters-magazine.com

Login / Sign up